Friday, September 30, 2011

A Little Setback...

I have been a little behind on the blogging so let me catch you up to speed.

Last week, we did Aiden's 5th fill. I was really nervous to do the fill after my last experience but I expected that. With that being said, I decided to change things up a bit. Instead of Michael holding Aiden, I changed it to my mom. If I did need any help pushing the syringe then Michael would be there to help.

I am happy to report that there were no issues and I didn't need help!There was a slight cry at first but I believe that it was more to do with him being tired and held down than in pain. The back expander took 90cc and still felt a little soft, but I knew there was NO WAY I was going over that number. I was very surprised that the belly expander took in 50cc because it felt firm to start with but it just goes to show how amazing these expanders can be. So, Aiden now has 370cc in the back and 325cc in the front. He is so HUGE...and we still have lots of filling left to do. Take a look at his growing bubbles...

325cc

370cc
After the fill, we went on with our day as usual. Over the course of the next couple of days, I noticed a problem. His stitches were red again in the back and now in the front too. Some of the areas looked really concerning so I emailed Dr. Bauer to see what he had to say.

Mim called me the next day and said that Dr. Bauer wanted the stitches to be removed because it seemed infected. One slight problem...we were out of town and wouldn't be back for a few days. Mim said that if we were comfortable enough then we could try removing them ourselves. GULP. Oh boy, this didn't sound fun. Dr. Bauer also called in an antibiotic for us to start when we got home. Unfortunately, we didn't have the right kind of tweezers with us so we had to wait until we got home to remove the stitches.

Fast forward to Monday. After arriving home, I noticed that Aiden was a little fussy. Then I felt his forehead and he was burning up. His temperature was 101.5. CRAP...I instantly thought it was the stitches and I felt bad that we hadn't removed them yet but then he started coughing a bit so I realized that it could be that he is just sick.

After giving him a cool bath and numbing the stitch area, we began removing them. This time, it was Michael's turn. I have never removed stitches and since I already do the fills, I didn't want Aiden associating me always with "the one who pokes at me." The first few went ok but Aiden was moving around too much and the stitches were tough to get out. After he started crying (in some cases, screaming...which was mainly from being tired and now not feeling well), we pulled the plug and waited until he fell asleep. It was no fun but Michael eventually found a way to make it work and we got most of the stitches out. The ends were just way too difficult for us to figure out so we decided to take him to our pediatrician the following day.

Unfortunately, the pediatrician didn't have much luck either. He was able to remove the last one on the belly expander so I was at least happy about that. He told us that Aiden had an ear infection but his lungs looked clear and that the coughing could just be a complication. So, I emailed Dr. Bauer to update him on the doctor appointment and he said that the remaining stitches will probably be fine because the the tension is gone from that area now. He also said that if Aiden was still sick on Thursday then we would have to skip his fill this week.

Yesterday would have been fill #6 but he was still not feeling well. Even though this is a little setback, I think it is good that the incision area has time to heal without the pressure of expanding more skin. Hopefully, Aiden will bounce back in next couple of days and we will be right back on track. On a happier note, the incision area is looking so much better since the beginning of the week so I am glad that the stitches were removed.

If you can believe it, we only have six more weeks from tomorrow before we will be flying back to Chicago and removing these bubbles! Then we can rest for a few months and start again.

Just another friendly reminder that we still have cookbooks left. If you would like a copy or know anyone who would, please let me know! Thanks and have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment