Thursday, November 24, 2011

RESULTS from Round One!

I have been a bit busy since returning home from Chicago, but I figured that Thanksgiving would be a perfect day to update everyone since we are SO THANKFUL this year.

Aiden's second surgery in Chicago was so much better than I ever thought it would be. Several of my friends had told me that expander removal was so much easier but it is difficult to really believe that until it happens. I had a little bit of anxiety the night before surgery but I was really surprised at how calm I felt the next morning. I am pretty emotional in general so I still thought that I might shed a tear or too at some point during the day but it never happened. I feel 100% comfortable with Dr. Bauer and I think that helped a lot. Aiden seemed a little scared but everyone around him was very involved in making him as happy as he could be. 

The one thing that drove me crazy this surgery was the wait. Last time it went by so fast but I was also a lot less anxious to see Dr. Bauer in the waiting room. I couldn't wait to hear the results this time. Luckily, Michael and I sat next to some very friendly people who helped pass the time. The surgery was only about 2 hours long but it felt like an eternity for me. When Dr. Bauer walked through the door, I could tell he had GREAT news for us.

The first thing he told us was that "WE DID GREAT." This has really stuck with me. The success of the surgery played a huge role in how Michael and I did expanding at home and I love that Dr. Bauer makes it a point to give us some credit. He told us that the back part of the nevus is completely removed and that a small portion is left on the upper chest and arm. I couldn't believe what I was hearing! I knew that we should be able to get a good amount off but I really had no expectations. It was such a huge relief. Dr. Bauer let us know that next time he would definitely have a chest expander and that he would decide later on what he would do with the arm so we may end up with two expanders again next time as well. I am confident that Dr. Bauer knows best and that the right decision would be made.

The rest of the day, we focused on taking care of Aiden as we were secretly dying to see results. It was so great to have him back in my arms. He had a little bit of a difficult time at first but soon enough we had him resting up. Unfortunately, he has become afraid of strangers so every time the nurse would come in, he would cry or scream. We knew that the best thing would be to head back to the hotel but Aiden had to be able to keep his food down before we could leave. It was a long day but we were back to the hotel about 6pm.

The next day, we headed off to Dr. Bauer's office for the big reveal. Mim was so excited to see us again and so were we. Aiden was a little unsure this time around and didn't like the dressing change very much but he did pretty good considering his fears. It is difficult for me to describe what it felt like to see the results for the first time. It was amazing and strange all at the same time. I had spent an entire year looking at his nevus everyday and now to see a lot of it gone was unreal! All I could say was "WOW," over and over again. Simply FANTASTIC progress. The stitches are never easy to look at but I will take that any day over constantly checking the nevus for any changes. Mim thought everything looked outstanding and was very happy for us!

I know you all have been wondering what the progress looks like so take a look for yourself. I haven't been able to get the best pictures because he doesn't like dressing changes so we try to make them as quick as possible but the pictures are still AMAZING!

Our little superhero gearing up for surgery!


The back as a newborn!
 DRUMROLL PLEASE...
After surgery! ALL GONE ON BACK!!!!!!

The front before surgery!

AFTER SURGERY!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you so much to everyone who has been following Aiden's journey. We are very excited to have a break from expanders until March! I will continue to keep you updated on his healing progress. So far, he is doing well!

Have a very HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment