Thursday, August 30, 2012

"Fun" Fill Thursday

Here we are already at day ten past Aiden's surgery. This means time for a fill. Since we had such a long gap between rounds, it seemed like we were starting from scratch, except without our fabulous nurses to help guide the way. However, once I started gathering the supplies, everything started coming back to me. Now that Aiden is older and more aware of what is going on, we are trying to make the fills as "fun' as possible. With "fun" really meaning...DISTRACTING one busy toddler from paying attention from what we are doing to his bubbles. 

First step is to bring out the handy dandy iPad. Next step is to apply lidocaine while watching Doc McStuffins. I know, how appropriate right? Aiden was not all that fond of me putting the lidocaine on and sealing it with some press n seal to make sure it stays directly on the port area. Luckily, once I put his shirt on, he seemed ok, minus some occasional moving around to get down from his high chair. The numbing cream must sit for at least 45 minutes. A fellow nevus mom today mentioned how she thinks the waiting before the fill is actually harder than doing the fill itself. Yup! I would have to agree that for ME it is definitely harder and my anxiety levels did indeed build as we got closer and closer but my nerves practically dropped once we started. 

Next step is to help Aiden along with this 45 minutes by giving him a sucker! He sure did enjoy that! Next time though, I think I will hold off on the sucker a little bit longer because he finished it too fast. Ok, so now its finally fill time. I did all the fills last time and I wanted to continue doing them this time too, so we sat Aiden in Michael's lap and my mom hung around to help distract. The most important step is this next one...keep his eyes on the iPad so he doesn't see what Mommy is about to do. Oh and throw in his suckie and blankie for comfort! Can't forget that! 

I decided to fill his lower left chest expander first. I felt a little nervous but took a deep breath and put the needle in. Not one single peep from Aiden. That was a relief and I thought this could actually be ok BUT I still had two more fills to do so I wasn't holding my breath. Since this is the first fill, I was instructed to take it easy so I put 40cc, making the total now at 110cc. 

I then moved on to the back expander since that port is in the same area as the one I just did...on his back.  I cleaned the lidocaine off, applied alcohol swab, let area dry, applied chlorapep swab and he flinched. DARN. Not going to get off with flying colors again. After sanitizing my hands, in went the needle. He did cry for a little bit but after talking to him and telling him we are just filling his bubbles, he was ok. I was envisioning a lot worse from the beginning so this wasn't too terrible. I put in 20cc, making the total 55cc. 

Now time for the third and final bubble in his upper right chest. This one I am not all that fond of for a few reasons. 1. His port is in his arm and toddlers do not enjoy having their arm held down. 2. This expander is slightly purplish in color, not anything to really worry about right now but I want to be extra cautious on filling this one up just in case. As predicted, he didn't like us touching his arm. He did let out some crocodile tears which I hate but since I wasn't putting much in, it was over fast and he was fine. Honestly, I believe it was just fear because he didn't cry or flinch when the needle went it. I only put in 20cc, although it could have taken a little more, but we can make up for it in the weeks to come once its a more normal color like the other two. All in all, I am happy with the first fill and I have complete confidence that we can continue to make them be not so bad. 

These bubbles are going to start looking pretty big early on! Here are the newest pictures of his bubbles. 

Upper right chest at 55cc and Lower left chest at 110cc

Back at 55cc
I am so glad this first fill is over and one with. Now we get to enjoy the week until the next fill! 

No comments:

Post a Comment