Monday, August 8, 2011

One Week and Counting

It is so hard to believe that my sweet little Aiden is about to begin surgery one week from today. I swear that it feels like yesterday that I was on the phone with Dr. Bauer's office, scheduling the date. I will probably never forget that day. I assumed that the surgery would be some time in August but I was surprised to hear that the next available date was August 15th...my birthday of all days. It will be most certainly, a birthday that I will never forget. The best present that day will be holding my baby after a successful surgery.

I have tried to prepare myself for this day but I have realized that there is nothing that I can do to make me less nervous or emotional. It won't be easy but I know that this is the right choice for Aiden. The only thing that eases my mind at all, is knowing that Dr. Bauer is our surgeon. He is so wonderful and I am so happy that a few of my very close friends introduced me to him.

A few of Aiden's little nevus buddies have recently had their surgery with Dr. Bauer and they are doing fantastic. Brayden, who was born the same day as Aiden, had tissue expanders placed a few weeks ago and it amazes me how fast his little bubbles are growing. Zac and Brooklyn also had tissue expanders placed for round two. I am so happy to have all three of them going through the expansion process around the same time as Aiden. I can guarantee that we will be sharing stories and helping each other out along the way! Sully and Josh had their tissue expanders removed and the results were AMAZING!!!!!!! As I was reading up on their blogs and looking at pictures, I couldn't help but to cry out of happiness because it put it all into perspective for Aiden's journey. Yes, its difficult and overwhelming to look at the stitches and scarring, but I am able to look beyond that and see how awesome this is going to be for Aiden at the end. The heartache will be worth it in the end if Aiden's new skin looks anything like theirs. I am so glad to have these families in my life and I am also glad that I continue to meet more and more families throughout this journey. They have made me stronger and we will forever share a special bond that only we can understand.

I would like to THANK all of you that have supported Aiden through the cookbook! It has been so heartwarming to see all the love from our friends, families, and even strangers. When I made my initial order of 500, I was a little weary that we could sell all of those but we actually have to order MORE cookbooks now because they are selling so fast. The best part is that a lot of the cookbooks were sold by friends/family who wanted to help support Aiden by showing them around to people they know! I only have a few boxes left so please let me know if you want a copy before the first order runs out. If you are interested in helping sell the second batch, please let me know! I can't wait to explain to Aiden what everyone did to support his trips to Chicago with the AMAZING DR. BAUER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So....we are off to Chicago on SUNDAY. I will keep you updated throughout the progress. Aiden is currently the youngest so we should be first on the list for surgery but I will find out for sure by Friday. Thanks again for all the support! Please keep him in your thoughts as we begin his nevus removal journey!

I will leave you with some recent pictures of Aiden!







No comments:

Post a Comment