Thursday, February 2, 2012

Rolling with the Punches

Well, I have some news. The last time I updated the blog, we were still dealing with the infection on his back. Guess what?? We are STILL dealing with this. I wish that wasn't the case but it is what it is.

I sent my weekly email over to Dr. Bauer earlier this week to show him the progress. I was expecting the same response of sticking with the routine that I have been doing. I thought wrong. He said that although it is looking better, it is taking unusually long at this point to heal and he thinks it would be best to excise the infection and close the wound. He understands that it isn't easy to come out to Chicago on such short notice but he feels that taking care of this now is better so that we have healthy tissue when we start the next round of  expansion. It makes sense as we certainly don't want to go through another infection again but this extra surgery was unexpected. We are now looking at definitely five surgeries plus whatever reconstruction surgeries he will need after the nevus is removed.

My trust in Dr. Bauer is so high that we are just rolling with the punches. It wasn't a case of "emergency" to fly out there right away so Dr. Bauer told his assistant to fit us in the next available date which happens to be February 21st. Due to the short notice, Michael will be unable to come with me so my mom will be coming along.

The surgery will not be that big of a deal as there will be little to no care afterwards beside the activity restrictions, which will be a little hard. Even though it sucks to put my son through another surgery, I will be glad to have this infection over with and be healed. Then we can really enjoy the next five months before round two begins. And I can finally write that post that round one is OVER.

I am happy to report that we are lucky enough to be able to see our really good friends from Canada that we met on our first trip to Chicago!!! This is definitely a bonus!

Thank you all for continuing to support Aiden. I will keep you guys posted on how his surgery goes and be sure to stay tuned as we have an exciting fundraiser coming up for Aiden! Details to come soon!

We still have cookbooks available for sale if anyone wants a copy to help out with our surgery/travel expenses! Order on the blog today or we can meet up somewhere if you live close! Again, we thank all of you that have contributed to helping Aiden! It has helped this process become a lot less stressful and we are touched by the love you have shown!

My handsome little guy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment